Thursday, January 6, 2011

I FORGOT TO COLLECT THE EGG YESTERDAY

Yes, that's right the egg.  Not the eggS, just one egg.  It's winter and my little hens, all 25 of them refuse to lay except for one hen.  I don't know who she is but she lays every day.  The others say - "that's too bad, it's cold out here!"  And i don't blame them! You can 'force' hens to lay by lighting their coop, because its the daylight hours that tell them to be laying, not the temperature outside.  But it takes energy to lay eggs, energy they need to keep warm, so i never forced my hens to lay in the winter.  One, because its not natural and two, because if they did, what the heck would i do with all the eggs?  Plus i would have to be out there to collect all the eggs about 3 times a day, otherwise they freeze, which gets kinda ugly, and not fun for me to get bundled up like an eskimo three times a day, twice is enough.

So i had a frozen egg this morning.  I also forgot about the eggs i had out in the fridge in the barn.  You see refrigerators are meant to cool, not keep a set temperature so when the outside of the fridge is colder then the inside, it stops working.  Then the inside freezes, (it took a while for those here to figure that out), and thus: my eggs froze.

No comments:

Post a Comment