Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DARK DAYS CHALLENGE WEEK 6

Still not sure what's going on with the days but I thought I would pretend like I am on the right track. : )
When I cook, recipes are to me like fences are to goats: a mere suggestion.  So I find recipes and tweak them the entire time to make them my own.  This one sounded good so I thought I would give it a whirl and still stay within the confines of SOLE (sustainable, organic, local & ethical).


BAKED OMELET WITH ELK BREAKFAST SAUSAGE GRAVY

1/2 C chopped onion (Thoreson's Farm)
3 Tbs Butter ( from Wisconsin)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I didn't have any on hand so I omitted them)
 - I also think adding a lot more veggies to this would be a great idea-
3 Tbs flour
1/8 tsp dried rosemary (from my garden this summer)
1 3/4 cup milk (from my goat)
1 1/2 cups of cooked Elk breakfast sausage (from Pronschinske Elk Farm, Winona, MN)
1 cup shredded cheese (mine)
3/4 tsp salt - divided
1/4 cup milk
4 egg whites (from my chickens)
4 egg yolks (from my chickens)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar*

* not SOLE


For the gravy:
Cook over medium heat the onion and butter, until soft (if you are adding any veggies, do it now, saute until soft as well). Cook the sausage in a separate pan now too.


Stir in flour, rosemary, and 1/2 tsp salt.
Add milk all at once, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, cook and stir 2 minutes more.
Stir in the Elk sausage, 3/4 cup of the cheese and the milk. Stir until the cheese melts.

Turn into a baking dish, place into a 375 degree oven to keep warm.


For the omelet:
look how pretty orange them yolks are!  Good girls, my chickens!

Beat egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
them's stiff!

Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl until thick and yellow.
Add remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/4 tsp salt and fold into egg whites.
Spread over the Elk sausage gravy.

Bake in a 375 degree oven until eggs are cooked through, about 30 minutes.

Take a pretty picture of the empty egg shells too.

Things I would change:
I would definitely add more veggies.  This was good but if I'm gonna have breakfast, I have to have something that at least resembles a vegetable or green.  Maybe layer some spinach in between the gravy and omelet layers.

Otherwise, it was superb!


And the only thing used that wasn't bought within 50 miles or not SOLE was the cream of tartar.  I'll have to look for that next time I am at the Good Food Store (our local co-op).  AND only if it isn't from California.  I could go on a rant now about eating local vs. eating organic, but I'll save that for another post. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment