Saturday, February 11, 2012

THESE CHICKS ARE HOT! *update*

Time lapse of nearly 2 months and how fast a chicken grows!
Dec 15, 2011

Dec 15, 2011
Jan 15, 2012
Feb 8, 2011









Yes, they grow REALLY fast! Now my trouble is - when to put them out side with the other chickens?  
They don't have quite enough feathers on them just yet, and they are not making too much of a mess down there in the basement of the granary.  I am planning on turning off the heat lamp soon - soon after this 10 degree cold front moves on!  It's been such an amazing mild winter with temps sometimes reaching the 40's - 50's that I could've moved them out doors a while ago, but they were just too small.

As much as I love this winter - I am afraid we will be paying for it this summer in hay prices and dryness, low water tables and so on.  Maybe we'll get a huge downfall of rain in the spring to make up for the lack of precipitation this winter.  I'm ok with that. I like not having to dress up like an eskimo to do chores.

But for now, my new baby chicks will have to stay warm under their heat lamp.  Next week it's supposed to get back up into the 30's, plus of course they will have more feathers by then too. 
: )


































































No comments:

Post a Comment