Thursday, February 23, 2012

DEATH IS ALL AROUND A FARM

I was out enjoying the beautiful weather the other day with my camera in tow (of course!), and looked up to notice something on the side of the barn.  Luckily I had my 70-200mm lens on my camera so I could take a better look at what it was.  Sadly it was a bird who apparently had went to enter a hole in the side of the barn and it's foot got caught in a crack under the hole.  I looked and looked and couldn't determine if it was alive or not.

I thought for a moment, " If it is alive, I can't just leave it there to suffer!"  So I walked out to the pole barn looking for the long ladder.  Then I thought to myself, "If it's dead, I would have just carried a 100 lb ladder over to the barn for nothing."  So I thought maybe I would go get my 300mm lens and see if I could tell if it was alive or not before I did something like that.  It didn't look like it was moving but sometimes you just can't tell with the wind and such.

Well, I am truly sorry to say but the little thing was dead, caught in the side of a barn by it's leg.  It must've flapped and flapped it's wings until it just passed out.  Do animals that go through something like that, just admit defeat and die?  OR do they stay there until they starve to death?  I think they admit defeat and die, the way it should be, without too much suffering.

I wish people had such options as that.  Makes me think that we hang on to things longer then we should in life, if something isn't working, let it go.  If we aren't in the right position, let it go.  If we are dying, let us go.  Why hang on? I like to live my life to the fullest every day, linger in the moment and know that each day is a blessing because who knows how much time we have?  Animals do that, they live in the moment, why as humans do we let our selves suffer and run the rat race in hopes that someday we can retire?  I'm already retired: retired to a lovely little farm, with great animals, friends and beautiful gifts of life.  I actually worked on the computer for 8 hours yesterday; I felt like I had one of those real jobs, ya know the 9-5 jobs most people have?  And I got down on my knees and thanked the dear Lord that I will never have to have one of those!  I couldn't possible do that!  I'd die, just like that little bird did, flapping my wings repeatedly hoping someone would notice me dying and then, just give up.

No siree!  I am meant to be a farm girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment