Friday, April 8, 2011

MAKIN' CHEESE WITH THE FAMOUS AND FABULOUS JEN

Yesterday i had the pleasure of hanging out with Jen Koski, writer and editor at Rochester Magazine, makin' cheese.  How did this happen?  Well the power of FaceBook reared its ugly head when Jen posted on her wall one day that she wanted to learn something new.  I posted under that, "cheese, i can show you how to make soft goat cheese (chevre) in five minutes - i can also show you how to make goat milk soap (1 hour)- or how to ride a horse (all summer), you pick."

But prior to that I was totally put out there by another friend, Susan who told her, "Sure, come out this summer when I have milk again. The co-op also has occasional Mozarella-making classes. Dawn makes cheese, too ---she is much more accomplished than I am!"

So i was enthralled to have the chance to share my knowledge and expertise at making cheese (not!)  Little did she know that i have failed more times at making cheese then i have succeeded. (shhh!  don't tell her!)

But we had fun!  Jen is one of those types of people that just bubble with enthusiasm and happiness!  Made me smile the whole time and not too many people can do that.  She even came bounding down the stairs to open the door after i knocked and was bouncing up and down like a little girl.  "We're makin' cheese!, Yay!"  I wish i could bottle that up and take it home with me.

I did my best to show her 'the ways' of cheese making, but it took way longer then i had anticipated.  She has an electric stove, i have a gas and the gas stove heats things more quickly we have discovered.  See, I learn something new everyday!

I showed her the simple cheeses: mozzarella, chevre, and ricotta - didn't want to get her too overwhelmed with some aged cheese, plus she needed this info and experience right away for an article she was writing for the magazine, maybe May its coming out.  Now i do believe that we have hit the pinnacle for being in the Rochester Magazine now.  I don't think they will allow us back in at the risk of people starting to rename it the Sanborn Magazine. (jk)

Thanks, Jen for a fabulous time!




1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're so kind! And you were a fab-u-lous cheese teacher. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete