Monday, October 18, 2010

We're all crazy here!

My mornings duties for the past 6 years have been this: up at 8 am, feed the horses and goats, milk the goats, strain the milk, check on the chickens, empty the dishwasher, feed myself, then go to work on whatever project I may be doing at the time. People have asked me, "Isn't that alot of work taking care of all thoses animals?" Well, the chores have always been distributed between the family members: Bob feeds the dogs and pig, Maddie takes care of the chickens, Sam and I feed the horses (when she was still living here), I take care of the goats. It all works out to be only about 1/2 hour of care each morning and night. I don't consider it work; work is well... work. This is my meditation time. I walk out to the barn, feed the horses, listen to their happy munching noises, listen to the goats yell about not being fed first, the sun is coming up when I get out there early, or its just shining up over the back 40 (I call it the back 40 but it really is the back 4), the air is still and the calming of this is enough to make one realise that I am the luckiest person ever! I have peace and tranquility in my own back yard! I am truly blessed.

This has been the most incredible month of October for weather! Started out in the 80's and now we have perfect fall weather of 60's during the day. It's been sunny and beautiful! and i have taken advantage of it for the most part. Although with my schedule something has to give when I want to go play - and last week it was school. This week there is no school for me on Friday so I am off to the Bottoms and a night camping with my pony and friends.

But this week there is much to do before winter sets in. The horses were just trimmed, and given their dewormer. The goats still need to be trimmed but have been given their dewormer, the babies also need their shots. The fence has to be redone to separate the goats from the horses or really to separate the horses from the nice pasture i restored last spring, so they don't ruin all the grass during the winter. All the fence rails need to be double reinforced around the arena, the garden needs to be cleaned up before the snow falls and the heaters on the waterers need to be turned on. Need to get the light fixed under the awning on the barn, so I can see in the dark since the days will be shorter all too soon. AND...... oh, we are having a Halloween party on Saturday the 30th! Join us! Should be a rip-roaring good time as usual. We will be having the bands: Hoag Park, Blue Monk, musician Ted Eckhardt, and many others join us for fun, music, food and Halloween fun!

Sneak peak: we will be having another great concert in the Barn Bar (http://www.barnbar.com/)  on December 5th. http://www.mairtinmusic.com/

Well, here I am typing instead of teaching my online class. Now I guess I can understand why it takes them so long to get their work done; distractions!

I guess we are all crazy here!

No comments:

Post a Comment